Saturday 25 October 2014

Sarangkot

Above Pokhara (800m) sits the spot called Sarangkot (1200m) which is perfect for paragliding,solo or tandem. By 11 am, up to 100 sails float down, some spiralling madly, some turning slowly on thermals. I want to try this, and have read reports from grandmothers who have enjoyed it. The walk from lakeside to the jump place was described as 2.5 hours, by a pleasant young local. Well, I started across a gentle slope through rice fields. Then up a cobbled section past farms and then came to a corner that said it was another 1.5 hours,with a diagram that looked steep. I quit. I walked back slowly past a family preparing a goat for dinner.


End continued and said the view was amazing, and that the last part had really been UP, UP, UP stone steps most of the way. After the jump base, there we more steps UP to a lookout. I struggled with my brief effort and was not surprised when the father of they young woman who had suggested the walk told me that he had never gone up that track.


But lots of others did and thoroughly enjoyed it. I guess mountain walks are not for me. I just don't like UP.


Later we walked along the lakefront, past Tibetan women selling handicrafts. Although they can have refuge in Nepal, they cannot own land, businesses or vehicles and cannot be employed in Nepal. I guess it goes without saying that they cannot go to school. I feel bad as I walk past. I don't really need necklaces, or bangles. But there are so many people struggling.


There is a newish cement paved pathway along the water's edge. Last week people were pulling that water hyacinth that a sees to plague rivers and lakes. Although the top looks quite pretty, the bottom is a at of black fibres, like coconut matting. Mounds up to a metre high and two metres wide lie on the bank. I wonder if it smells as it rots? Someway burning, but how do you burn wet weeds? The path breaks up at a few points, and people have the wind through a metal maze. I guess this stops motorbikes. The series of restaurants varies for a wooden hut with one perp eight a few packets of chips, to "Mike's Restaurant" which might have seated 60, but that looked like it had been derelict for years.


Eventually there are boats for rent. Flat bottomed ones to row, ones that pedal and bigger ones for groups of up to 10. Many were half submerged. Life jackets were compulsory. At one point, there's a raised platform that might have been a lookout. Both time is have passed, it was being used as a washing station for people. But the walkway across is under 50 cm of water. I must get a photo. It looks weird to see people pull up their trouser legs and wade across.

No comments: